Saturday, November 25, 2006

Music is for everyone

It is always believed that music is not well understood by a lot of people. The taste for music is used by a lot of people as a pretense, to be seen as cool. These are bad people. But there are ignorant imbeciles as well. These are the ones who have a habit of breaking into a ruthless cacophony. There are people who have a very bad memory of lyrics and make a mockery of songs without an malicious intention. Wide range of capabilities exist in producing, reproducing and digesting music.

I have always belonged to the bad-in-all-respects category. I can't produce harmonious sounds, nor can I remember lyrics. Sometimes I believe it is something you are born with. Once in my third year of undergrad, I grabbed a keyboard from my ex-roommate Munna. My friend, Sid, used to live besides me. He was both gifted and trained. So, I asked Sid to teach me keyboard. He started by teaching me about the SEVEN Notes. The key was to be able to distinguish between them. I was not able to do that even after a few sessions. Sid gave up and said - "Its not your fault. If you can not feel the difference between notes, you will never create music." I took his word as god's will and humbly admitted my limitations to myself. Then on, I never tried to learn music. But, that hasn't deterred me from listening to a wide variety of music. I was and am pretty ease to please. I could even enjoy my next door guy singing. I realized that I was bad at lyrics. But, on the other hand, my taste for music was such that it ignored lyrics a lot of times. I could listen to songs from any language and feel happy, feel sad, feel something. There are a lot of songs that stir me up.

There are a billion people on the earth who fall into my category - good listeners alone people (GLAPs). We are the people who make music timeless. Music was created for expression. Not everybody can express it, but most of us can read the expression. If it was only for the ones who could express, I believe music would have become so limited and prone to death. IT wouldn't have survived till eternity. I raise a toast to all the GLAPs on the planet.

This is one of my favorites:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmm thatz an interesting thing you say there bhai, and as far as being musically out of tune, well it has never bothered me, i have come to believe in principles of learning that say that one can learn just about anything, and i guess that applies to music. all of us have music inherent in us, just that our expressions of it are different. :) with practise, however, everything can improve. :)

i do have some thoughts on this issue, and did want to write about it at a point, but then thought i will do that when i begin learning music on my own. it would make more sense then! ;)

good writing bhai. :)